Monday, January 9, 2012

Cooking with joy: stove-top grill

In summer I love to grill my food. Less heat inside the house. Fresher taste. I grill beef steaks, lamb, chicken, eggplant, zucchini, sweet peppers, asparagus, beefsteak tomatoes sliced in think rounds, salmon (I wrap the latter in foil to avoid lasting fish after-taste on my grill) .
The thing is the summer is short and the grill is rolled back into the basement for a long-long winter before you know it.

Fridgidare electric cooktop @ Yale Appliance
I researched indoor electric grills, tried one of them, didn't work for me. Then I came back to the idea of stove-top grills and grill pans. The one I use now is a large (14'' diameter) griddle / grill pan, it heats up evenly on my ceramic glass electric cooktop. The cooktop looks like these on the left and right. What matters is that the big heating element is in front so you can place you grill on top and manage the process comfortably.
GE @ Lowe's

Honestly I don't know who came up with the idea of putting up the picture of this grill pan reversed as the main photo. I didn't get to using this grill upside down in three months I own and use the pan. I use the other side. It's won't ever occur to me to buy this one if I were shopping for grill pan on Crate&Barrel website. I just walked into the store, looked at grill pans, held them and bought the one from cast aluminium (Nordic Ware).  The competing pan was made of cast iron, too heavy for me. And though it looks cool I'm not so sure about the practicality of rectangular shape on my stove-top.  Round shape works best for me.
After I'm done cooking and eating I scrap / wipe off the burnt remains of food and fat  and put the pan into dishwasher. But if you pay attention to instructions only the cast iron enameled ones (Le Creusett, Mario Batali) are dishwasher safe. So think again about enamelled cast iron: may work for you and your stove-top.
Nordic Ware Griddle-Grill Pan @ Crate&Barrel $37






Mario Batali Red Reversible Grill-Sear Pan @ Crate&Barrel $50

NB: I own electric cook top and though I prefer gas there is no budget for bringing gas pipes into the kitchen. Ceramic-glass smooth cooktops go out of order every 5 years unlike the cheaper coil cooktops. But who wants a cheaper, more reliable and uglier option. I bet gas stoves are even more reliable then electric coil stoves and no doubt more reliable than slick smooth surface ceramic-glass ones but let's leave this touchy subject alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment