Monday, March 26, 2012

Euro / kg to USD / lb --> Iceland

While  visiting a new country I feel more comfortable if I have a simple way to estimate how much I pay for my "market basket".
For example, what it costs me to buy bread, milk, cheese, farmers cheese, yoghurt, seasonal fruits and vegetables, fish and meats for 3 days.
Since prices / selection are drastically different in convenience stores and supermarkets in US, I would do basic research to locate supermarkets in designated location. It may works the other way around in the foreign country (family stores are cheaper than supermarket chains), but I assume for simpicity sake that life in Europe is similar to American way.

Let's assume we talk euro. I suppose all I need then is the ability to convert euro-kilos and euro-litres into dollar-pounds and dollar-quarts.
This way according to today's conversion rate  10 EURO / KILOGRAM = 6 USD / LB.

As I read further through pick-up in Iceland, the author suggests that due to high prices for groceries you cook each and every meal at home (in your rental apartment).  In such case we mean Iceland Krone.
1000 ISK / KILOGRAM = 17.4 USD / LB.


Grocery stores
Forget dining out for every meal.  This is especially true when you leave Reykjavik.  There are numerous small towns outside of the capital city and while many of them have restaurants, they are usually more like truck stop cafes with very simple menus.  My suggestion is to stock up on supplies at the various grocery stores.  The cheapest of which are Bonus and a store called Kronan.  Stock up on the basics: bread, cheese, Skyr (an Icelandic dairy product similar to yogurt), deli meats, etc.  Buy local greenhouse-grown vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and peppers. Almost everything else is imported.  If you have a place to cook your own meals, your options will increase.  In that case, I recommend buying fish.  It’s fresh, clean, reasonably affordable and doesn’t need any fancy sauces or condiments to be tasty.


Still can't find information on staple food prices.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment