Friday, February 10, 2012

Super 88 now Hong Kong Supermarket

1095 Commonwealth Ave
Boston, MA 02215
Neighborhood: Allston/Brighton

(617) 787-2288
Nearest Transit: Brighton Ave @ Comm Ave (193, 57) 
Hours: Mon-Sun 8:30 am - 11 pm


Life is full of precious finds in the places where you never expect them. I was looking for "Super 88 Market" information (in short "88", Chinese lucky number,  not to be confused with 99, 96, 69) .  Apparently, I haven't been to 88 for years though I own, use and like Chinese and Japanese dinnerware bought there. Figured that the chain  owner closed 3 out of 6 stores in Boston area in 2008, filed for bankruptcy in 2009 and was bought out by Hong Kong Supermarket. It's still a large Chinese supermarket with great variety and Asian food court. And the smell which I don't mind in Asian markets. No smelly boyfriends in my life but read up. That ecstatic and genuinely funny.

Why Super 88 (now known as Hong Kong Supermarket) reminds me of My Old Boyfriend:

They smell. Just like My Old Boyfriend, Super 88 really stinks. My Old Boyfriend couldn't help it- his feet and each orifice contributed to this condition. They mean well, but they still smell.

They are cheap. My Old Boyfriend aspired to a life filled with bargains in any form and so does Super 88. They both have this attitude. Cheap is sweet.

They are big. My Old Boyfriend was 6'5", had a beer keg-like chest and size 14 (smelly) feet. Super 88 is equally large.

They are hard to read. My Old Boyfriend was an unreliable puzzle when it came to communication. Super 88 can be equally confusing.

They like food. My Old Boyfriend was always eating. During our relationship, I gained ten pounds due to the constant caloric input. Super 88 has an incredible food court in front, which offers all kinds of food. I can't comment on any of it, though, because I am trying to lose those ten pounds now that My Old Boyfriend is history.

They are popular. My Old Boyfriend was Homecoming King, Prom King and and had many friends of all sorts circling around his large, odoriferous orbit. Super 88 is popular, too, especially when key items like Sriracha Sauce are on sale.

They are centrally located. My Old Boyfriend has a great spot not too far from Fenway, easy to find on the Green Line. Same goes for Super 88.

They are not without flaws. But who's perfect, anyway? If you get involved with either of them, you'll be fine as long as you can stand the smell.


 Source: YELP / Dorothy's review: Why Super 88 (now known as Hong Kong Supermarket) reminds me of My Old Boyfriend

No comments:

Post a Comment